Router with no internet-facing ip address

Put questions that seem to be of non-product specific nature here.
Most software related issues should go here unless it is related to a service provider like backup backends and DNS services.
haraldc

Router with no internet-facing ip address

Post by haraldc » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi,
I used to have the Keep server installed at a friend's home and it worked fine for several years with Dynamic DNS. The benefit with this setup was that I had a copy of my files in a remote location. The service at my friend's place has changed to a new internet operator. Now the router does not have an address that is possible to reach from the Internet. The port forwarding in the router is of new use since the router itself is on a "private" network and I have no access to the upstream router.

Any idea how to solve this?

tor

Re: Router with no internet-facing ip address

Post by tor » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:15 am

Hi Haraldc,

Unfortunately this seems like a troublesome situation. If the unit is behind a router on a private network, without a public address, the only solution is to use something like a VPN solution. (Which by the way is something OpenProducts is evaluating to provide as a service)

If you get access to the Keep device you could manually setup VPN on the device which would provide a public IP for the device and then it should work. (With restrictions on which ports that the VPN service allows you to use)

The other less flexible solution would be to use ssh to forward access to ports on the Keep device to a known device on your network or something similar. This however would only allow access to devices that in turn have access to that local device. (I.e. you could just as well retrieve your device and put on your local network)

/Tor

haraldc

Re: Router with no internet-facing ip address

Post by haraldc » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi Tor,
After complaining and arguing with the Internet provider they finally fixed a public address to my friend's router. Now it is up and running again. :)