(Re)Installing OPI

Put support questions regarding OPI here. Examples are hardware related issues and other questions that are specific to OPI.
tor

(Re)Installing OPI

Post by tor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm

This is a short howto on installing or reinstalling OPI. This procedure will completely reformat the internal storage and returning OPI to the state when delivered.

To perform the installation you will need a µSD-card with a minimum size of 512MB. This card will be completely reformatted deleting all data present.

Note that Internet access is required during setup. This is due to OPI needing to communicate with our servers getting certificates signed etc.

[EDIT]
OPI 1.3 and earlier:
Download the installer
Start by downloading the latest installer. Downloads are provided from here http://download.openproducts.com/opi/install/

Currently this is the opi-install-1.3.zip The same directory also contains the sha1- and md5-checksum file which can be used to verify, the unzipped image, that the download is successful and complete.

Kinguard 18.06 and later
Download the installer
Start by downloading the latest installer. Downloads are provided from here https://www.kinguardproject.org/download/releases/
The directories also contains the sha1- and md5-checksum file which can be used to verify that the downloaded image is successful and complete.

When the installer is downloaded it has to be (OPI 1.3 needs to be unzipped also) written to the µSD card. This could be done either from the commandline in Linux or using Win32 Disk Imager
[ENDEDIT]

Write image Using Win32 Disk imager

Download the application from Sourceforge and unpack it.

Insert the µSD card into your computer.

Start the Imager application. Select the downloaded installer image and the device containing the µSD. Then press write.

When completed remove the µSD from your computer

Write image using dd in Linux
Insert the µSD card into your computer. Lets assume that the device for the card reader is /dev/sdg substitute with appropriate device for your machuine.

Open a shell.

Make sure the device isn't mounted
sudo umount /dev/sdg?

Write the image to µSD by
sudo dd if=/path/to/opi-install-1.0.img of=/dev/sdg bs=512

Make sure all data is written to the µSD
sync

Close the shell and remove the µSD card from your computer.

Performing the install
Remove all power from OPI then insert the installer µSD into OPI.

Turn on power on OPI. OPI should shortly start up and the left and middle LED should blink synchronized.

When OPI is fully installed it will shut down completely with no LEDs lit.

Remove the installer µSD from OPI and replace this with a non installer card preferably a newly formatted card.

Power on OPI and complete the initial setup. (Note that if you use an old OPI µSD card you have to provide the same master password and OPI-id.)

scotta

Post by scotta » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 pm

What are the /default/preferred/supported file systems and partition tables for the "non-installer" microSD card?

tor

Post by tor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi scottta,

The non-installer µSD will be partitioned and formatted by OPI upon setup. Thats part of the encryption.

The preconditions is only that it isn't an LUKS encrypted device already on it. (If it isn't an OPI-card in which case you should provide the "old" master password to use it.)

/Tor

shimrod

Post by shimrod » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi

My OPI has been laying around for a while since it stopped working
a couple of months ago. I installed the "rescue" image and was able to
talk to it.

Just a moment ago I did a reinstall with 1.2 and inserted a fresh
formatted SD card.
Now I says "Failed to authenticate with OP server.
Wrong activation code or password"
I was able to access from my lan and through the link with the activation code.
After restarting it seems to be bricked with 2 solid leds and the leftmost blinking.
Should I try to reinstall again?

Best regards
Rolf

shimrod

Post by shimrod » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 pm

By the way this is how it looks when I nmap it.
I remember that this looks the same as when it was hanging before.

Br
Rolf

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-02-18 00:09 CET
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.24
Host is up (0.00071s latency).
Not shown: 992 filtered ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp closed ssh
25/tcp closed smtp
80/tcp closed http
143/tcp closed imap
443/tcp closed https
587/tcp closed submission
993/tcp closed imaps
2525/tcp closed ms-v-worlds

tor

Post by tor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:23 am

Hi Rolf,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with OPI.

Regarding the first problem. Make sure you used the exact same password as you did with the previous system. If it differs you wont be able to authenticate with our servers.

Then the other problem is most likely due to the aborted setup. Could you try reformat the SD-card and try again?

Best Regards

/Tor

shimrod

Post by shimrod » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi Tor

I reinstalled it and the leds turn off. I inserted a new formatted SD card
and it seems to hang again. I.e no contact.
When I took out the SD card and mounted it on another computer it looks blank.
Im quite lost here.

Br
Rolf

shimrod

Post by shimrod » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Again Tor

Sorry about the last mail.
It works now. Im not sure why though.
I reinserted the blank sd card and restarted.
Now I was able to configure it again. :)

A question regarding the master password. I thought it was only local
to my card? Do you keep a signature of it at opi?
Can it ever be changed then? I have a rather weak now and wanted to update it, that's why I reformatted my SD card.
You imply in the reinstall instructions that the password can be changed by using a new card?

Best regards
Rolf

tor

Post by tor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi again Rolf,

Unfortunately you currently have to use the same master password for a registered unit. (We use a key derived from the master password to authenticate against our backend systems.)

This is of course not acceptable and is on our todo-list to change. In the meantime you have to contact us and we can reset the account and let you choose a new password.

Best Regards,

/Tor

johan

Re: (Re)Installing OPI

Post by johan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi guys

While upgrading my OPI to Kingguard, how am I supposed to get the backup data read in to the new system?

From OPI i made a backup to USB-stick, which to me seems OK. I got a folder opi-backup on the stick containing the files:

Code: Select all

s3ql_data_           s3ql_metadata_bak_2   s3ql_passphrase_bak3  s3ql_seq_no_4
s3ql_metadata        s3ql_passphrase       s3ql_seq_no_1
s3ql_metadata_bak_0  s3ql_passphrase_bak1  s3ql_seq_no_2
s3ql_metadata_bak_1  s3ql_passphrase_bak2  s3ql_seq_no_3
with the subdirectory containing a lot of s3sql_data_# files.

I made a Kingguard installation SD-card and installed, which went on as expected; two diods flashing for some minutes and then shutdown. I wiped the card, inserted the USB and the SD-card. The USB-stick has a diod, during the first seconds of the boot process the USB-stick is accessed for a couple of seconds. Then the setup is going on for some while with no further activity on the USB-stick, then I got prompted to name a primary user for the new system and I got a totally clean system with no other users and no user data loaded. I don't find any option to load backup data in the interface. There must be something in the process I've missed.

/Johan