System Messages on OPI 18.06.2

Put questions that seem to be of non-product specific nature here.
Most software related issues should go here unless it is related to a service provider like backup backends and DNS services.
murtagh

System Messages on OPI 18.06.2

Post by murtagh » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:38 pm

I would like a clarification on design intentions for system messages on OPI 18.06.2. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

When I first updated to 18.06.1, I got a notification in the System messages section on the System information page. That was cool, and I acknowledged it. Since then, I have not gotten any notifications. I figured I accidentally acknowledged the 18.06.2 notification, and we have yet to get a bump to 18.06.3. But the other day I noticed the left light flashing like it did when I had the 18.06.1 notification, so I logged in to see what was up. I just happened to catch the OPI during its backup cycle. Perfectly acceptable. But I noticed it had a notification that the backup was running. Is it reasonable that I would have had the OPI running for ~3 months, and only had one system notification to acknowledge? I can see advantages to both a concise or a verbose logging.

pa

Re: System Messages on OPI 18.06.2

Post by pa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 am

Hi murtagh,

When we did the implementation of the notifications, we had a long debate on what to show to the user and how.
Too much information would only annoy the user and in the long run, the user would start to ignore the messages.

What we ended up with is that the system should only show information that is relatively non-technical, and of importance to the functionality of the system.
A couple of examples on what can be shown:
  • System reboot required needed by software updates
  • Upgrade failures
  • Backup failures
But the intentions is that the system shall be rather quiet so to answer your question, Yes - it is possible and also rather likely that you should not have seen any more messages. For instance updates that does not need a reboot will happen quietly.

/PA