Unlocking NextCloud’s potential

Put questions that seem to be of non-product specific nature here.
Most software related issues should go here unless it is related to a service provider like backup backends and DNS services.
murtagh

Unlocking NextCloud’s potential

Post by murtagh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:42 am

Now that we have NextCloud with Kinguard, I am curious on how to best leverage its power.

- Is it possible to reach the naked NextCloud interface? I know there are some NextCloud native options I would like to experiment with that should not impact Kinguard’s core functionality. But I need access to the NextCloud interface.

- What is the expected Android app to use NextCloud file storage? Are we using the NextCloud app, or the OPI Files app? I have tried both and had issues with both. I just don’t want to chase a dead end.

- Tasks. Thanks for enabling this with Kinguard. It is something I value. Are there any validated Android solutions for accessing the Tasks via CalDav?

Thanks!
Murtagh

tor

Re: Unlocking NextCloud’s potential

Post by tor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 am

Hi Murtagh

Nice that you seem to be up and running with you upgraded OPI!

It sure is possible to reach at least parts of the NC. Our theme merely hides it to give a more consistent look and feel with the rest of the system and also to make sure no incompatible configurations occur. The user admin is for example disabled since any modifications on that would most likely clash with the way we manage users on the Kinguard platform.

With that said and a warning that this is of course unsupported, you can reach the configuration UI on the following URLs:
Where you replace URL-to-your-device with your opi/keep-name and domain.

Regarding android apps regard the OPI apps as unsupported. Use the official Nextcloud apps and Davdroid they should work fine. When setting up the Nextcloud app make sure you enter the full URL to Nextcloud, i.e. https://your-device-url/nc, note the trailing nc. If this still does not work get back to us with details and we will help you out.

Regarding tasks, they should work with Davdroid. They integrate nicely with the tasks app that ship by default on my android phone.

Best
/Tor

murtagh

Post by murtagh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Yep. The OPI is up and running with Kinguard. B-) You guys should really send out a mailing to the OPI owners telling them there is a new upgrade available.

Before I start fixing things, let me ask a clarification. You mentioned the OPI apps should be considered unsupported. That is good to know. So Davdroid now fills the role that OPI Organizer used to fill, correct? And with Kinguard, are we able to use generic POP/IMAP clients in place of K-9 mail? It worked, but I was never a huge fan of K-9. And if all the above is true, that means the OPI Settings app is obsolete as it was merely infrastructure for the other OPI apps, correct?

Murtagh

tor

Post by tor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Yes, all opi-android apps are deprecated with the move to the Kinguard-project.

They where really only convenience versions of K9, the OwnCloud app and DavDroid with OPI theming. The OPI settings app where there to provide a centralized configuration for the other applications to use. (So that you only had to set it up in one place)

Regarding IMAP-clients. You could always use that even on the old OPI-release. The K9 where only a recommendation. You can read more on how to setup external "client" applications in the manual for OPI and Keep in chapter 7 Using External Clients.

When it comes to inform all OPI-users about the new release and move to the Kinguard project it is high on our todo list :)

And finally, i said above that i used the built in tasks app on android to access tasks on my device. I was mistaken, I actually use OpenTasks from google play. Davdroid should however integrate tasks with android so basically it should work out of the box if you have any other Task/todo-app.

/Tor

murtagh

Post by murtagh » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 pm

I successfully migrated away from the OPI apps. I I think the suite of Nextcloud/DAVDroid will be a good match going forward.

The key thing I was looking to enable was NextCloud Talk. I think when you perform the upgrade to NextCloud 13, it should be investigated for inclusion. Secure chatting fits your mission statement. I am concerned that the ARM processors in KEEP and especially OPI may not be up to processing video chatting, but I imagine they could handle secure texting. And depending on how the system is architected, the server may not even have much heavy lifting to do. I will drop a quick note in the Requested Features forum for posterity.

Congrats for managing the Kinguard upgrade. I as an early adopter (I go back to the B3 with you all) really appreciate the work you do.