Upgrade SD card

Put support questions regarding OPI here. Examples are hardware related issues and other questions that are specific to OPI.
haraldc

Upgrade SD card

Post by haraldc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi,

I have used the OPI for a while using an 8GByte SD card. I now want to upgrade to a 128GByte SD card. Which is the best procedure?
I have a local backup on the OPI. I have Win7 and Ubuntu OS.

Is it possible to copy the 8Mbyte to an image and copy the image to the 128GByte card?

Is it possible to configure and empty SD card on the OPI (using the root login) and use the local backup to recover the files?

Do I have to re-install OPI?

I have been able to read both the USB backup and the 8Gbyte SD card on my Ubuntu OS. I have managed to copy the image to the 128Gbyte SD card, but not to increase the partition size to utilize the larger size.

I tried to make a fresh formatting of the 128Gbyte card and copied the 8Gbyte data into the card. I used the same encryption password on both cards. The OPI OS accepted the card (var/opi was correctly mounted) but it was not possible to log in using the web interface.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Harald

tor

Post by tor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 am

Hi haraldc,

We are experiencing some permissionsproblem on the forum. Thus excuse me if i'm a bit short on the reply.

We unfortunately still havn't implemented full restore of a backup. It's next up on our todo-list after the upcomming 1.3 release.

Since you seem to be comfortable with these matters and run Linux i wrote a short howto on manually backup and restore the SD card.

Read more here:

Howto manually backup and (re)create SD cards

And you should not have to reinstall OPI.

I hope this will get you going!

/Tor

haraldc

Post by haraldc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Tor, it worked fine.
--Harald

striker

Post by striker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello allo,

Is it safe to assume that if Harald's 128GB SD card works with the device the new 256GB cards will too?

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-car ... microsd-a1

Thanks,
Steve

pa

Post by pa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Steve,

As we have not tried with any 256GB cards, I do not really have any better answer than try it and share the result...
Sorry not to be able to help out on this.

/PA